AAO Donated Orthodontic Services Program
Established in 2009, the AAO Donated Orthodontic Services (DOS) Program provides nationwide access to orthodontic treatment for children and teens from low-income families.
For DOS program eligibility, patients are required to meet the following criteria:
- Patients are 18 years old or younger when they begin treatment.
- Patients cannot already be in braces or in between phases of orthodontic treatment.
- Patients must be receiving regular dental care and have good oral hygiene.
- Total family income below 200% poverty level (max $52,400 gross income/family of 4).
- Patients are asked to pay a $200 administrative fee (approx 4% of the average cost of orthodontic treatment) to participate in the program. The fee goes directly to support DOS and the patients in the program.
DOS Orthodontists have provided more than five million dollars in treatment for 914 patients, nationwide. The program is looking to grow by welcoming new providers and patients, can you help?
The DOS program currently has 232 patients on our waitlist, nationwide, that are waiting for you!
Find out how you can get involved below.
Give Back with DOS
Join forces with 600 AAO members that are dedicated Donated Orthodontic Services (DOS) providers! To be a volunteer, you will commit to providing your regular standard of treatment and choose how many patients you would like to accept each year.
DOS takes all the guess work out of treating pro-bono cases. The DOS Coordinator will evaluate the patient’s financial need, so you never have to be the one to turn anyone away. The patient will be matched based on their geographic location and as the Orthodontist, you can decide to treat or not treat.
Questions? Contact Chelsey, DOS Program Coordinator at 800.424.2841 x582 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Interested in Volunteering?
Would you like to learn more about the DOS program and how you can make a difference right in your office? Click below to fill out an interest form and the DOS Coordinator will be in touch!
AAO Donated Orthodontic Services, Board of Directors
Dr. Aron Dellinger, President
Dr. Spencer Pope, President-Elect
Mr. Ted Dreifuss, Secretary/Treasurer (Henry Schein Corp)
Dr. Michael J. Foy, Director
Dr. Daniel Keith, Director
Dr. Greg Oppenhuizen, Director
Dr. Barry Raphael, Director
Dr. Jeff Rickabaugh, Director
Dr. Michael Sherman, Director
“This is a worry-free program. The orthodontist is free from any need to assess or validate patients’ financial situations, as we would usually have to do in providing charity care on our own.”
Would you like to support DOS but can’t commit to treating a patient in your office? Donate below to offset the cost of the program to the patient in need.
Already shopping through Amazon? Be sure to select AAO Donated Orthodontic Services as your charity of choice through the AmazonSmile program. Detailed instructions are below. Happy shopping!
Donate Through Amazon
AAO Donated Orthodontic Services is now registered on AmazonSmile, the log-in page of amazon.com that enables shoppers to support their favorite registered non-profit organizations. Simply use AmazonSmile to access your amazon.com account and purchase items. Amazon will then donate .05 percent of your purchase amount to the AAO DOS Program if you select it as your registered charity.
To use Amazon Smile:
• Visit https://smile.amazon.com/.
• Log in with your Amazon user name and password.
• Your Amazon Smile account landing page will appear. Choose the second selection option, which is titled, “Or pick your own charitable organization.” A search box will then appear.
To support the AAO DOS program, type Donated in the search box and then:
• Scroll down approximately 12 items to view “American Association of Orthodontists Donated Orthodontic Services.”
• Click on the organization name and then click the gold SELECT box at bottom left.
• The amazon.com home page will then appear, and you can begin shopping.
• Each time you log in through smile.amazon.com, the organization that you selected for contributions will appear at top left. If you wish to alternate the organization that you support from one purchase to the next, click on Supporting, then on Change Your Charity. You will then return to the landing page search box to change your charity setting.